COMM 2025 - Fundamentals of Communication
3 sem hrs cr
This course is a study of communication skills, including practice in organizing, preparing, and delivering various types of informative and persuasive speeches, and in engaging in constructive criticism of oral communication. Prerequisite: Exemption of or completion of ENGL 0810 and READ 0810
In rare and unusual circumstances, a course prerequisite can be overridden with the permission of the Department Lead for the discipline.
This course may include proctored exams which must be completed on campus or at an instructor approved proctoring center which may require additional costs to the student. Please consult your instructor for additional details.
Formerly/Same As (Formerly COM 1010, SPCH 1010)
Transfer (UT) or Non-Transfer Course (UN): UT
Master Course Syllabus
Student Learning Outcomes
- Develop the ability to stand before an audience and express ideas clearly, effectively, and with a mastery over fear
- Organize, outline, and present oral presentations
- Identify various persuasion techniques in oral communication
- Gain self-esteem as a communicator
- Understand the listening process and critique speeches
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various purposes of public speaking
The student will…
- prepare and present a self-introductory speech.
- outline, prepare, and present at least 4 extemporaneous speeches, including two which are informative and one which is persuasive.
- outline, prepare, and present at least one special occasion speech.
- outline and present an impromptu speech.
- participate in a study of listening and do work in specific listening activities.
- participate in a study of critiquing speeches which are given during the course.
- demonstrate by written examination a mastery of the text content.