Motlow College is a public, multi-campus college offering certificates, associate degrees, and flexible learning pathways for early transfer, college preparation, and workforce training. Students are prepared for employment, career advancement, and four-year college or university transfer. The College serves an eleven-county area comprised of full-time, part-time, traditional, and non-traditional age students from diverse socio-economic populations with disparate educational and cultural backgrounds. The College offers high quality accredited educational programs and a variety of support services emphasizing and promoting student success.
Motlow State Community College, an institution governed by the Tennessee Board of Regents in the State University and Community College System of Tennessee, is a public, comprehensive, two‐year, open‐access college founded in 1969. The college awards the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, and Associate of Science in Teaching degrees and certificates of credit.
Motlow College strives to develop the cultural, intellectual, and career opportunities of the people in its Southern Middle Tennessee eleven‐county service area, which includes Bedford, Cannon, Coffee, DeKalb, Franklin, Lincoln, Moore, Rutherford, Van Buren, Warren and White Counties. The college is committed to achieving a diverse student body, faculty, and staff. The college recognizes the significance of this diversity by providing a broad spectrum of services to respond to a variety of needs in the learning process and educational opportunities from developmental to advanced programs.
Motlow College is a multi‐location community college providing:
- degree programs designed for transfer to other colleges and universities;
- degree and non‐degree programs designed to develop immediate job readiness skills and competencies;
- public service, lifelong learning, and workforce development programs to promote personal enrichment and economic and community development.
To establish a firm foundation for liberal learning, the college requires a strong core curriculum in degree programs complemented by cultural, scientific, social, and community service activities. In particular, Motlow College is unique in that it provides a comprehensive, interdisciplinary Honors Scholar Program integrated with a strong cultural series. The versatile curriculum, qualified faculty and staff, and related resources, strengthened by innovative technologies, prepare students for success in the global community. To support these initiatives, a continuous cycle of planning, evaluation, and response promotes institutional effectiveness and efficiency.
Motlow College encourages student success through critical thinking, clear communication, ethical behavior, respect for others, civic responsibility, problem solving, effective functioning in individual and team situations, and an appreciation of one’s own heritage as well as that of others.
Motlow College promotes and maintains alliances with business, industry, government agencies, and other educational institutions to enhance programs and services.
As a dynamic institution of higher learning, Motlow College enriches and empowers its students and the community it serves.
Motlow State Community College remains committed to the education of a non‐racially identifiable student body and promotes diversity and access without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
To be the area’s recognized center for life‐long learning and growth opportunities.
- Motlow College is committed to student learning as our primary focus.
- Motlow College is committed to excellence, creativity, trust, respect, diversity, teamwork, integrity, knowledge, honesty, civility, and the free exchange of ideas.
- Motlow College is committed to continuous improvement, institutional effectiveness, and efficiency.
- Motlow College is committed to our stakeholders and to the total development of individuals and their quality of life; we strive to enhance student competencies and to further the cultural development of our service area.
The course offerings and requirements of Motlow State Community College are continually under examination and revision. This catalog presents the offerings and requirements in effect at the time of publication but is no guarantee that they will not be changed or revoked. However, adequate and reasonable notice will be given to students affected by any changes. This catalog is not intended to state contractual terms and does not constitute a contract between the student and the institution.
Current information may be obtained from the following sources:
- Admission Requirements: Office of Admissions and Records
- Course Offerings: Office of Academic Affairs
- Degree Requirements: Office of Academic Affairs
- Fees and Tuition: Business Office
The College reserves the right to make changes as required in course offerings, curricula, academic policies, and other rules and regulations affecting students, to be effective whenever determined by the college. The enrollment of all students is subject to these conditions.